We’ve heard it before and we are sure we’ll hear it again – business owners don’t like writing blogs about their own business. Whether this is just a hate of writing blogs or trying to find the time, blog writing is neglected.
However, having blogs on your website is hugely valuable. It will help drive traffic to your site and hopefully therefore help you build more of an email database to help with email marketing and promotion. It is also a fantastic way of increasing the level of trust customers and potential customers have towards your business.
Here are our top tips to think about when starting to write your blog:
1) Know your audience. You are writing for them, not yourself. Remember that not everyone knows your business as well as you do so take it back to basics. Use language that is going to interest people and keep them engaged. Make it fun and avoid the boring chat.
2) Plan your blog content in advance. The reason so many business owners hate the thought of writing blogs is because it seems daunting not knowing what to write about and the time thinking about what to write about could be spent doing more valuable things within the business. PLAN! At the beginning of each month, work out what topics you want to cover that month.
3) Create useful content. When thinking of blogs to write, think about what your audience might find useful. What tips could you provide? Have you found a recent hack that you could share with your audience?
4) Remember blogs don’t need to be essays – anywhere between 250 – 550 words is perfect.
5) Summarise and create an outline of what they blogs is about to entice people to want to read the full blog.
Top tip – don’t right about something you’re not interested in if you don’t have to. Pick something you’re passionate about and enjoy the blog writing process.